Sunday, October 4, 2015

Technology Integration Stages

When I initially read that I was going to need to classify myself on technology integration, I felt I would be pretty low on the technology totem pole. Now that I have a better understanding of the stages, I see that there are bits and pieces of my ideas behind technology use with kindergartners at a number of stages. I was happy to see I am beyond a stage one, and can’t think of a single teacher who is at stage one. District 90 has given teachers enough training and access to technology that everyone uses it on a daily basis. Upon a quick read of the stages, I initially pegged myself as a solid stage two teacher. I use a few tools with my kiddos, but prefer to have technology taught by the tech teacher, mainly because I am fearful that if (when?) something goes wrong, the lesson becomes a waste of time and sometimes causes such a disruption in the flow of learning that it is hard for students to rebound and time is too precious of a commodity to use frivolously when I see students for less than 2.5 hours a day (after specials).
Upon a closer read of the stages, though, I saw pieces of what I do, or at least what I strive to do, at other levels. From stage three I see that I am starting to take technology and think of ways to integrate it into lessons and I decide upon and use the same tech with all students - without giving them choice. 

Also, as I am learning/getting comfortable with technology, I want more access to it, which is dipping my toe into stage four. Recently our tech coach left out Osmo, hardware that allows students to use tangrams, play hangman, and use spatial reasoning using the iPad along with real tools to manipulate. It was a novel connection using actual letters, shapes and paper alongside the iPad’s app. I was hooked and asked to play with it. Now I plan on introducing my students to it as soon as the tech person shows me a thinner sleeve than we typically use to protect it in the event of an accident. This tool could even become an option for students during choice time if all goes well and they can manipulate the iPad without fear of breaking it due to the thinner case.
That beings me into stage five. Once I begin to allow students some choice over what they do and which technology they use, I have entered this stage. When I initially brought Osmo home to play, my 12-year-old asked why my students couldn’t simply build with tangrams, instead of using it in conjunction with the iPad. After thinking for a moment, I was able to articulate that the iPad allowed them the opportunity to strengthen their visual-spatial correspondence beyond just using the shapes. They would have to transfer a 2-d image from the screen and manipulate discrete shapes in 3-d to match the picture. They would also be challenged to expand their vocabulary and challenge their growing phonemic awareness as they played the Visual Hangman in Osmo. I am also thinking beyond lesson integration and towards curriculum integration of technology. We teach in themes and instead of just thinking how can I find something for x unit, I am looking at things I am learning in this class and through Twitter for integration across units - for example math applications. 

While I still hover mainly between stages two and three, I am seeing an interest and desire to branch out and am becoming more technologically brave and interested in venturing into unknown tech areas.

There is a teacher I know who integrates a lot of technology into her day. She is on top of the newest trends and independently tries things out once she hears about something. While I admire the time, energy and effort it takes to learn and implement a new technology, at times I question whether some choices are instructionally or developmentally wise. At those times, I would say this person is at stage four, which can become the stage of excess. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! What a wonderful post! Very insightful and you gave me some new ways to think about the Osmo. Thanks for the thoughtful reflection.

    ReplyDelete